Have you heard about the signing of the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2023?
With this Act, Congress eliminated the DATA-Waiver Program. This means:
- A DATA-Waiver registration is no longer required to treat patients with buprenorphine for opioid use disorder.
- There are no longer any limits or patient caps on the number of patients a prescriber may treat for opioid use disorder with buprenorphine.
- All prescriptions for buprenorphine only require a standard DEA registration number.
- The Act does not impact existing state laws or regulations that may be applicable.
- There will be new training requirements for all prescribers which will go into effect on June 21, 2023.
With this change, access to buprenorphine can be increased. Are there any cons?
I would very much like to hear your thoughts on this. Please reach out to me privately or respond directly to this posting.